PREPARING FOR YOUR FIRST BABY – WHAT DO YOU NEED?
It’s no secret that raising a child could be expensive. When the time for shopping for your first baby comes, many future parents panic and forget some essentials or make unnecessary purchases.
THINK IN ADVANCE
The “pink for a girl and a blue for a boy” rule came into existence in late 20th century. Before then people believed blue was a gentler color and therefore more suitable for girls. And before that things were even simpler – young children wore the same white dress-like garments.
It looks seems that this old trend is back because nowadays more and more parents choose baby items in more neutral colors. From the room to the clothes and the stroller – white, gray and creamy prevail, while brighter colors are just an accent. This might sound a tad boring but at least everything would be suitable for both boys and girls, which is quite practical.
QUALITY INSTEAD OF EXPENSIVE LABELS
Kids don’t really care about fashion, they just want to feel comfortable. Many designer brands offer baby clothes and accessories. The problem is that babies grow up fast and constantly need something new that inevitably affects the family budget. So here are some tips on how to shop smarter:
- Choose natural fabrics (cotton, linen, bamboo, merino wool). One exception are blankets can be made of microfiber or fleece, which are ideal for winter.
- Think in advance and buy clothes and diapers in different sizes. You will be surprised how fast your babies grow.
- Don’t be shy about asking your fellow moms if they have some unused baby clothes. There is a good chance they will be filled with brand new things that are no longer needed.
Whether you are planning on throwing a baby shower or not, your relatives and friends will want to buy your baby a gift. It is your decision whether you’d like sentimental or practical gifts – it may be best to have both. Nowadays, most online stores allow you to make a wishlist or a registry. This way instead of wondering, your friends will know exactly what you need.
If you would like to get the essentials for the first weeks of a newborn’s life, we have prepared a relatively short list:
- Furniture: bed, car seat, stroller, bathtub ;
- Everyday items: diapers (different sizes), bottles, pacifiers, breast pump (optional), breast milk containers, thermometer, high quality baby cosmetics (soap, moisturizer and a cream for diaper rash), gentle detergent, wet wipes, nasal aspirator;
- Textile: fitted sheets, soft cotton or bamboo towels, cotton or fleece blankets, bodysuits, pants, blouses and T-shirts, cardigans, gloves, hats, socks, snowsuit for winter babies.
We would like to find out what your tips for your future parents are. And for everyone expecting their first baby – it’s normal to feel unprepared, but we’re sure you’ll do an amazing job!